Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tom Collins

An oldie but a goodie.  It was my favorite drink in my twenties.  A good Tom Collins is made with Gin, sweet and sour and for me a splash of white soda.  I know I always say this.  I can't stress enough how much better that little squirt of soda will make most drinks with sweet and sour in the recipe. 

Now when asked for a Tom Collins its made with Gin, so if you prefer Vodka you have to say it when ordering. So say a Vodka Collins.  Its sweet, sour, frothy(or should be because it should be blended) and topped off with a cherry and orange slice. 

I can not tell you how many of these litte beauty's I have enjoyed back in the day, so many I probably don't remember them all. 

Tip of the day-when drinking or mixing any drink with sweet and sour, always, always, always use a powder based sweet and sour mix.  They have the best taste. Any mixer, liquid based, just does not have the same consistancy or flavor as the powder does.  I know that it is hard to find but you should be able to find it at any large liqour store or even the small mom and pop places that have been around for a whole. If you can't find it go to your favorite bar and ask them if you can buy some from them.

Stick an umbrella in it, in fact have a party and do a whole summer based themed party.  At this time of year we could all use a warm tropical themed party to help us get through until the real thing comes along.

Yes its that time of year again when cabin fever starts taking hold and we all go a little crazy, so instead of taking out that cabin fever on our friends and loved ones take it out on a nice cold drink. Ride out the storm(be it a snow or ice) and always remember.....spring is coming my friends....spring is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment